Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Street Cred

I like how the author establishes credibility in The Challenge for Africa. Wangari Maathai takes up several pages explaining her background, her motivations, and WHY she thinks she is a credible source to listen to regarding the troubles of Africa.

I also like how she explains Africa's situation, initially taking a historical standpoint and moving towards its more modern troubles:

"Africa has been on her knees for too long, whether during the dehumanizing slave trade, under the colonial yoke, begging for aid from the international community, paying now illegitimate debts, or praying for miracles" (p20).

 When I took history waaay back in high school, I remember the map of colonialism in Africa. the one where practically every European country was fighting over their own little slice of the country. The image made me laugh at first, but it also led me to think of how, long-term, the country would be affected by such aggressive colonialism. I think anytime a country occupies another, the consequences are very long-term and it will take a very long time for the country to be able to run itself after being controlled for the benefit of another country.
In terms of credibility, I like that the author explains why she thinks she is qualified to represent the best interests of Africa:
"Unlike many others who write about or lead large-scale efforts in support of Africa, I am not an economist, a social scientist, or a political theorist...I was raised in central Kenya in a rural village with no modern amenities....I grew up in the shadow of both Mount Kenya and colonialism's last thrones" (p21). 

I think the last thing Africa needs is one of the above (see picture) telling it what to do again. This is why I buy into the author's credibility. She seems like a local, and to understand what it is like to be from Africa, and therefore should have its best interests at heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment