Friday, July 17, 2015

Life in Fast Forward

I recently watched the movie Amy Winehouse. Currently, I am listening to Amy Winehouse.

When she initially reached the top music charts in the world, I did not really care. I was either in middle school or early high school focused on getting into college, generally just not interested in the goings-on of the music industry or its famous international stars like Amy Winehouse.

It's obvious why people like her music - she is talented, and not just with respect to being a good performer. Her lyrics, written by her, are reminiscent of her life in London and of parts of her life that are emotionally stirring, comical, serious, fraught with great successes and great mistakes. All of that was put on a stage so that the world could learn or not learn, accept or ridicule, her wisdom or lack thereof in how she lived her life.

One of the most important points, I think, that was made in the documentary about her life was that she did not like performing and the expectation that she felt had to be met after attaining such irrevocable fame.

One of the other most important points made in the documentary was that she worshipped her father, who left her family when she was young. He was one of the driving forces that kept her performing, even when it may have not been one of the best things for her to do, health-wise.

My uncle also died of an addiction problem, and why someone would do that to themselves isn't something I really understand. Addiction paired with other personality traits or situational factors seems to cause the demise uniquely to each person, but how that person can just let themselves fade out of the world without what others would deem reasonable cause still confuses me so much.

The one reasonable explanation I can think of for Amy is that she had lived her life and achieved so much in such a short amount of time that she was completely overwhelmed, and completely unprepared for that feeling.


4 comments:

  1. Her father probably should have watched out for her better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been obsessed with her music for a long time. Her voice and music style remind me of the long-gone glamorous 1960s. Sadly she left us when she was still way too young. But sometimes it makes me wonder, if her life wasn't so tangled up with so much mess, she wouldn't had written such wonderful music with deep feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like her music. I've heard about the documentary but haven't seen it yet, & I'm looking forward to watching it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt sorry for her experience but I also appreciate her accomplishment in the world of music.

    ReplyDelete