Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Money #3

The part of the novel where Lynne Twist discusses the power of conversation and the stock market crash of 1987 is particularly interesting to me. One quote stood out:

"I was reminded of the written Chinese character that, depending on the context, defines 'crisis' as 'danger' or 'opportunity.' We realized that , although the stock market would do what it would do, when we let go of the conversation of fear and anxiety, and created a different conversation focused on the bounty of our lives - then our fear subsided" (Twist 207)

This is another way of saying "count your blessings," no matter how much you think you're losing in the stock game, in the money game, in the rat race, whatever.

I think it's easy to get caught up thinking about what you are losing, when really you should just appreciate what you have. I remember in the 2008 recession my parents were thinking about all the money they were losing on the stock market, but didn't worry about to the point of a panic because they always know they don't really need anything more. They're happy with what they have.

Fearing loss is one of the most detrimental fears to have if one is trying to move forward, or to be happy. It's a negative mindset that I've trained myself out of, and tended to disappear the more people, places, and situations I was exposed to. If you catch yourself in that rut, go find something different to do - it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment