Thursday, June 11, 2015

I Wanna Be

What do you want to be when you grow up?

I've been answering that since I was just old enough to talk, but yesterday I thought about it for a while, and realized that it's a pretty loaded question.

The question is assuming that the person answering it will be one thing, when they grow up. It's even directing young people to WANT to be one thing when they grew up. I don't think it's very realistic - because in one life, there is opportunity to be a great many of things.

What if my answer was:
I want to...
be a writer
be a part-time bowling enthusiast
be a parent
or not be a parent
be good at math
be a champion of international cuisine
be able to trust everyone
be able to support the lifestyle I want
be smarter every year
be a frikin superhero slash international spy, yah feel??

I feel like Shakespeare had it right when he said:

All the world’s a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances,
And one man in his time plays many parts

And it goes on....


It's an interesting thought though, wanting to actually be, or become, everything you want. Try it out - you never know it's quite possible it will actually work.



4 comments:

  1. You have such an interesting approach in deciding your career path. It's so true how society pressures us to choose our career early. I feel ya. Having transferred from UCSB to USC, I definitely feel all the more pressured. Everyone here is doing something, some deciding as early as freshman year. Not only do they decide, but they also act upon it, achieving leadership programs and connecting with recruiters and professionals. It's insane. I feel like there's so many more options out there than to limit ourselves so early on. I admire those who do and are passionate about. But, you're right, it's like Shakespeare had said: there are many parts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to make video games. I want to design roller coasters and theme parks. I want to go snowboarding all over the world. I want to direct action movies. I want to eat great food from everywhere. I want to teach a class. I want to be a parent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Recently, I have been wondering what I wanna be or have or do after graduation; lots of ideas came to mind- I want to be a PR/design free lancer; I want to be a milktea cafe owner; I want to be a designer; I want to be a gourmet; I want to have a home with a room dedicated to my shoes; I want to get married...Well, so many ideas that I felt even more confused. Hope I could figure this out soon enough, as I'm graduating in 2 months..!!!
    P.S. Love the Shakespear's quotes :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was super cool to read. I really like your loose and easy going approach to such a complex question. Since I've graduated I've been getting this question a lot and even though I know what it is I want to do, the question gets harder and harder to answer every time.

    ReplyDelete