Thursday, June 25, 2015

Analysis Paralysis

One of my favorite parts of going to USC is having the privilege to interact with people everyday who are amazingly intelligent and have huge ideas on how to make the world a better place.

One of the reasons I can’t focus on my Operations Management homework right now is because I interact with people everyday who are amazingly intelligent and have huge ideas on how to make the world a better place.

Boys
I live in an apartment with 6 girls, and they haven’t stopped talking about boys for the last hour. Boys they like, boys they feel have wronged them in some ways. We have 3 new girls subleasing in our apartment, all of whom have their own opinions on how best to deal with any given situation each one of us has been through, or is going through, with one of the male species. 6 opinions. All at once. One could argue that having 6 opinions is vastly helpful in resolving a dating upset, but I’m not sure if listening to 6 different opinions will help Jenny with her current dilemma or confuse her even more.  

Analysts
Now, back to that Operations Management class that I’m taking. I really like the material. It’s great for analyzing a given manufacturing or service situation where customers or inventory are not getting processed or receiving service in the most efficient way. We learn about things like capacity analysis, inventory analysis, optimization analysis, analysis analysis. There are analysts in the making in this class, and I am one of them.

Elders
One of my professors (not Hansen) has an opinion on how our parents should raise their children. He believes that the “helicopter parent” causes a huge problem in a child. This problem, he says, is a sheltering so effective that the child never learns how to fail. Learning how to fail, he argues, is one of the most important things a child can learn.

One of my parents argues that absentee parents cause a huge problem in a child. This problem, he says, is an absence so dismissive that the child never learns how to succeed. Learning how to succeed, he argues, is one of the most important things a child can learn.

The Internet
I scroll through the newsfeed on my Facebook page, and there is such an overwhelming amount of information on people, on their opinions, on what they like, on what they don’t like, on who they like, on what they like to do, on what they did last Friday night, on where they are right now, on what news they think is important right now, on like omg everything.


It’s amazing, but I’m not sure what I will do with all of this information.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with your professor. I think children need to learn to fail in order to grow. "Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger" right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Livia - Oh how I have completely been in your position... It's very hard to get the restless mind to focus on just one topic. I've learned that the key to a busy mind is doing exactly what you just did.. write it all out. If you have one million topics on your mind, get them out on paper to try to organize them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Living on ones own requires skills and personal character that may be stunted by over protective/coddling parents. That being said, raising well round children requires proper nurturing as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really interesting. I have no other advice for you than don't over think things. I tend to do it a lot and it can slow me down if I'm not careful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tend to think a lot when I am doing my work (unless the deadline is reallly close) and it slows me down; and 311 is one of my favorite class! The Littlefield game is so fun. Who's your professor?

    ReplyDelete